1) With the rapid improvement in.../growing awareness of..., more and more.../sth....
(e.g. With the considerable improvement in building industry, more and more structures are
being erected to set the people's minds at ease.)
2) Recently, sth./the problem of...has been brought to popular attention/ has become the focus of
(e.g. Recently, the problem of unemployment has been brought to such popularattention that
governments at all levels place it on the agenda as the first matter.)
3) One of the universal issues we are faced with/that cause increasing concern is that...
(e.g. One of the universal issues that draw (cause) growing concern is whether it is wise of man to
have invented the automobile.)
4) In the past few years, there has been a boom/sharp growth/decline in.. .
(e.g. In the past ten years, there has been a sharp decline in the numberof species.)
5) Nowadays, more/most important/dangerous for our society is...
(e.g. Nowadays, most dangerous for our society is the tendency to take advantage of each other in political circles.)
6) According to the information given in the table/graph, we can find that...
7) As can be seen from the table/graph/figure, there is a marked increase /decline/favorable (an unfavorable) change in...
8) As we can see from the table/graph/figure above, drastic/considerable/ great changes have taken place in...over the period of time from...(年份)to...( 年份)
9) The table/graph shows that there is a(n) declining/increasing trend of ...from...(年份) to...(年份)
10) Anyone who takes a closer look at the data in the table/graph can besurprised to find that...
11) It is a traditional practice to...in our society.
(e.g. It is a traditional practice for young people to be financially dependent on their parents for
anything like marriage and housing.)
12) It has long been considered only right and proper to...(in China.)
(e.g. It has long been considered only right and proper/perfectly justified for the old to assume
full responsibility for the growth of the young.)
13) To sb.'s mind/In sb.'s eye(s), sth. seems/means...
(e.g. In the eyes of the public, official corruption means taking bribes,. ..But such corruption
comes in many different forms.)
14) When it comes to...(sth.), most people (the public) maintain(s)/contend(s) that...
(e.g. When it comes to fake commodities, every consumer has much anger to pour upon them.)
15) Now it is widely believed that...
(e.g. Now it is widely believed that examinations are the best possible measure for the selection of
16) A public debate has arisen as to/over/concerning...
(e.g. A public debate has arisen as to whether one should step forward bravely in the event of
17) The birth/invention of...has made an enormous/essential difference to ...But it does not mean that...
(e.g. The birth of the computer has made a radical difference to the human progress.But it does
not mean that this wonder does no threat to our society.)
18) Sth. has changed the way our society develops....But its bright side should not keep us from
following closely its dark side.
(sth.: the genetic engineering, etc.)
19) In our life, there often appears such an occasion when.../on which... (或it often happens that...)
(e.g. In our daily life, there appears such an occasion when we drink success to our work in one
field but, at the same time, begin to do great damage to other fields.)
21) “...” That is how one of the great minds/scientists/writers remarked on...
(e.g. “Happiness, like an old friend, is inclined to drop in unexpectedly— when you're working
hard on something else.” That is how a famous writer once remarked on happiness.)
22) One of the great sociologists/psychologists has said:“...”
(e.g. The great classical ballerina Anna Pavlova has said: “No one can arrive from being talented
alone. God gives talent; work transforms talent into genius.” In other words ...)
23) “...” Such is the accurate exposition/exposure of...frequently over heard in public.
(e.g. “Public morals are declining day by day.” Such is the correct exposure of the dark side of
24) How often nowadays we hear such remarks/complaints/words as this “...” or “...”!
(e.g. How often nowadays we hear such complaints from officials as this “Ihave too many
social engagements to carry out” or “I have too many social engagements to carry out” or “I
have to bear too many titles for our society”! Don't be misled by the complaints of this kind!)
25) According to the recent survey/poll/questionaire/statistics, there is/a re...percent of...
(e.g. According to a recent survey made in a certain university, there are 43.8 percent of male
students and 38.3 percent of female students either facing problems with nutrition or having to
miss classes because of illness each term.)
1) A good case in point is (can be best provided by) that of...
(e.g. A good case in point is that of a businessman who makes money by fairmeans or foul.
2) Just consider/think of the matter/case of...
(e.g. Just consider the matter of raising flowers that are delicate and sensitive to watering.)
3) In the course of..., for example, there is/are...
(e.g. In the course of coping with worries in life, for example, there is anart to what way you take.)
4) Take...for example(或Take, for example,...)A
(e.g. Take foot racing (for example), it is a sport in which endurance and strong finish is often more important.)
5) As a(n) example (of...)/illustration (of...)/case in point, let's take/see/consider/follow/cite...
6) My list could go on, but more important/substantial/pressing to me is (that)...
(e.g. ...is what steps I should take towards the realization of my aim.)
7) To..., however, is/requires/demands...
(e.g. To be a successful learner, however, demands a great deal of work.)
8) But in reality, the expression of one' reasons in one thing while the accomplishment of his
purpose is another thing, which usually needs/is/requires...(So,...)
(e.g. ..., which usually needs a greater effort of will.)
9) To me, however, the greatest challenge is not the matter/question of...but (the matter/question) of...
(e.g. To me, however, the greatest concern/challenge is not the matter of the grounds for my
aspiration, but of capacities to be increased for making it a reality.)
10) Another (good/ideal) case in point is that of...
(e.g. Another ideal case in point is that of rowing against current.)
11) To the already well-known/familiar examples/cases of..., another may/can be added:...
(e.g. ...of things turning out contrary to one's wishes, another can be added: A great invention in
medicine leads to a sharp increase in the average span of human life. But on the other hand, it
turns out to overburden the food supply of the world.)
12) As another illustration/example, let's take/see (the case of)...
(e.g. As another illustration, let's see the case of swimming in an ocean.)
13) A very similar case/example/story can be cited/told from...
(e.g. ...from the modern military history of China.)
14) Perhaps it will suffice to mention another example/case/story of..., which unfolds as follows:...
(e.g. ...of an unbridgeable gap between ideal and reality, which unfolds as follows: A woman
was speaking to her friend about her two beaus. “If I could combine their qualities, I'd be the
happiest person in the world. Ronald is rich, handsome and witty but unwilling to propose
marriage to me. Tony, compared with the first, is outshone but he is eager to marry me.”)
15) From the exemplifications above, it turns out that...
(e.g. From the exemplifications above, it turns out that the power of determined will enables one
to find some way out of any difficulty.)
16) As the foregoing turns out, it matters not...but...
(e.g. As the foregoing turns out, it matters not what color your cat is but once it catches mice, it must never be one of the bad.)
17) The most important/essential/substantial/critical thing/matter worth pointing out, however, is...
(e.g. ...is what structure of knowledge a would-be achiever has in the future competition.)
18) The comparison/contrast that calls for deepest thought lies/consistsin...
(e.g. ...in social values that convey different senses to the two peoples.)
19) The most striking/sharpest/shocking/instructive contrast between A and B can be found in...
(e.g. ...in the way both see the world.)
20) Of all the differences between A and B, the greatest one is...
(e.g. Of all the differences between science and pseudoscience, the greatestone is their truthfulness.
Science originates in nature or from practice while pseudoscience is created/invented out of nothing or
1)Some (people) argue/claim/believe/hold that... But others set (put) forth a different argument
about/oppositive views on the matter in question.
(e.g. Some claim that setting off firecrackers is a good practice of celebrating the Spring
Festival. ...But others put forth opposite views on the problem. )
2) Some (people) advocate/endorse/favor/are for (或oppose/object to/areagainst)... Yet others
stick to/hold on to/cling to the opposite views/argument/points.
(e.g. Some advocate changes intended to modernize the building code. ...Yetothers hold on to
the opposite views.)
3) To some people's mind/From some people's point of view/In the eye(s) o f some people, the
matter in question is/seems/should be/means...But to others'mind/from others' point of view/in
others' eyes, it is just/quite the other wayaround/contrary/opposite(或the opposite/reverse is
(e.g. To some people's mind, reading should be done in a selective way. ...But to others', it is just
the other way around.)
4) Some (people) respond/react to...by...But others behave/act in the other direction/in the opposite way.
(e.g. Some people respond to failure by remaining inactive or avoiding it...But others behave in the opposite way.)
5) Some take the view that...And/But on the other hand, others argue for the opposite view that...
(e.g. Some are of the view that institutions mould characters. ...And on the other hand, others
argue for the opposite view that characters transform institutions.)
1)It is true/There is no need to deny that...But it does not mean...
(e.g. There is no need to deny that recreational services have added variety to our social life. ...But it does not mean leaving them to take their own courses.)
2) Although it is widely believed that..., it can not stand close/cold scrutiny/analysis/examination.
3) Admittedly/True/Obviously/Indeed, the issue in question. ... But one basic/vital fact is being left out
of our analysis/consideration, namely/that is,...
(e.g. Admittedly, the official figures and statistics show that much improvement has been made in
people's living standards. ... But one vital fact is being left out of our analysis, namely a growing gap
between the rich and the poor. )
4) Those in favor of the issue in question argue/contend/hold/maintain/claim that...But what they fail to
consider/analyze/see/find out is that...
(e.g. Those in favor of euthanasia contend that its practice can benefit both the patient and his
family. ...But what they fail to consider is that euthanasia may be taken advantage of for some evil or hidden purposes.)
5) Superficially/On the surface/At first glance(thought)/In appearance, the issue in question seems...But
in fact(on second thoughts/on close examination/in substance),...
(e.g. At first glance, the western-type democracy seems superior to any other types. ...But on second
thoughts, it does not entitle every citizen of the same nation to the equal freedom to act.)
1)To prevent this phenomenon/trend from worsening/running wide/To guide the matter/situation to the best advantage, it is necessary/important to...
2)In the face of...some people take the position that.../some people come to believe that..., to which I can't attach/add my consent.
或:In the face of...people retain/take/show/assume different attitudes/position s/standpoints.
或：In the face of...many people have come up with...
3)But many people feel puzzled about/perplexed at/over whelmed with...(the changes/situation), so this essay is intended to...
4)Although lots of people follow the fashion/trend, I still set my heart on...
5)This is a (n) favorable/unfavorable/unhealthy/essential/marked/grateful change/tendency/situation, but factors/causes/reasons for it are not hard to find(或but its appearance/existence derives from a variety of factors).
6)The progress/improvement/change(s) in...is(are) really tremendous/remarkable/prodigious/marvelous, so it is necessary to understand (see) what it (they) illustrate (s)/prove(s)/account(s) for.
7)A comparison between these changes may be a good way to learn more about...
8)More insight/inspiration/truth/thought can be deduced from these changes.
9)This situation/phenomenon/trend/tendency is rather distressing/disturb- ing/depressing/heart-rending, for the opposite of it is just in line with our wishes/just what is to be expected.
10) This is what we are unwilling to see, so some way must be found out to...(可用于分析建议、对比
11) Fortunately, however, more and more people come/begin to realize that ...(可用于分析建议、对比分析和各抒己见类议论文)
12) Unfortunately, things have worsened/come/developed to the point where ...(用于分析建议、原因分析、批驳分析、各抒己见类议论文和知识性说明文)
13) But have you ever stopped to think what/how/why...?(可用于除理由陈述之外的各种议论文和知识性说明文)
14) If we take a further/colder/closer look at this problem/matter, however, more secrets/grounds/chances/ways will be found out for...
(e.g. ...putting it right/taking action against it/improving it) (可用于分析建议、对比分析、原因分析等议论文和知识性说明文)
15) A further/deeper analysis/study/exposure of.../A further comparison between...can reveal more
about.../can show us more ways to...(how to...)可用于分析建议、原因分析、对比分析、批驳分析等
16) The same is true of many cases in life.(用于举例说明文)
17) Perhaps, it is ideal/high/ripe time for us to tackle/handle/answer/take up the question in no half-hearted manner.(用于分析建议、原因分析类议论文和知识性说明文)
18) People from different backgrounds, however, put different interpretations on the same thing.(用于各抒己见类议论文和展开式界说性说明文)
19) If/When adopted to account for/define/expose..., it can come in different meanings.(用于具体定义说明文)
20) If it is intended for..., however, the divergence of outlook on it ceases to continue while a new meaning to it begins to stand out.(用于归纳性定义说明文)
21) Our life abounds with examples in point.(或The truth in the definition goes for/is applicable to many cases in our life.)(用于举例说明文)
22) In that case, however, I prefer to...rather than...(用于理由陈述、比较分析、批驳分析类议论文和知识性说明文)
23) (Un)Fortunately, there are still some people who act in the other way around.(用于分析建议和原因分析类议论文)
24) If this is true/the case, what accounts for such an issue:...(如：perversion of justice for bribes 贪赃枉法)?(用于分析建议和原因分析等议论文)
25) If that remark still holds water now, the situation (trend/phenomenon) in question should make us ponder about what harm/benefit/influence it will bring to us/about how it will affect our society.(用于分析建议篇)
26) His view is voiced by more and more people, but finds no echo in my heart.(用于批驳分析类议
27) Such a dilemma/problem/condition we often run into in our life, but the basic question is how to cope with it/but all we need to do is how to approach it.(用于分析建议、原因分析、对比分析等类议论文和知识性说明文)
28) What this survey reveals is cold and hard, so the top priority task f or us to set about is to...(用于分析建议、原因分析、对比分析等议论文和知识性说明文)
29) This case has aroused echoes throughout the country, with more and mo r e people following its lead, but ideas about it vary widely/is there anything serious it has reflected?(用于分析类议论文和各抒己见类议论文)
1) In view of the above-mentioned negative factors/disadvantage(s)/defects in A, people's second thought is to...
(e.g. In view of the above-mentioned negative factors in raising the output,our second thought is to improve the quality of products.)
2) To counter/offset/counteract/cancel undesirable/side/ill effects/influence/results of A, B is put forward/proposed/advanced as another better course/ solution to...
(e.g. To counter the undesirable effects of rigid administration, emotionalinvestment is advanced as another better course to success in business.)
3) In their efforts to battle against dark side/incongruous elements A h as brought along with it, however, people come up with another approach/solution /course to...namely...
(e.g. In their efforts to battle against the dark side the examination-oriented education has brought along with it, educators come up with another approachto the problem, namely the quality-oriented education.)
4) In contrast with the drawbacks/demerits/flaws of A, B can serve as a better step/move/advance in the right direction/to ward the solution for the problem of...
(e.g. In contrast with the drawbacks caused by nuclear power, the solar power can serve as a better move toward the solution for the problem of energy crisis.)
5) So when it comes to an effective remedy for/a good counter-balance to the problems/limits/faults/weaknesses in A, people naturally think of B.
(e.g. So when it comes to an effective remedy for the weaknesses in competition, people naturally think of cooperation.)
6) But it has also brought along with it the negative effect/disadvantage /weakness that...
7) However, it is not without limits/problems/faults/defects, for example, ...
8) Like anything else, it also has its own dark side, as evidenced in...
9）For/Despite/In spite of the advantages/benefits/positive effects A has, it has suffered from/posed some disadvantages/harm/negative effects.
10) To attain this goal, however, we still have much work to do/many obstacles to remove.
1) Indeed, A is superior to/enjoys a distinct advantage over B in...,butit pales/proves inferior beside B/as compared with B in many aspects. (In the first place...In the second...In the third...) A
(e.g. Indeed, television is superior to newspapers in vividness and quickness, but it pales beside B in many other aspects.)
2) In spite of the fact that A has made a great difference/contribution t o.../has given
life/color/variety/rein/birth/rise/a push to..., it means/proves/ sounds nothing/trivial when compared
with B in some respects. (For one thing,... For another,...For still another,...)A
(e.g. In spite of the fact that the revolution in industry has given varietyto the way people live, it proves trivial when compared with the revolution ininformation.)
3) Although nothing/few things can come close to A/can outweigh A in..., its
demerits/disadvantages/drawbacks/defects stand out against B.(First...Second ...Third...And above
(e.g. Although few things can outweigh the intellectual education in tappingmental resources, its disadvantages stand out against the moral education.)
4) Popular/Highly-praised/Welcome/Fashionable/Prevalent as A is in+地点名词/among some
people(或Helpful/Useful/Beneficial/Advantageous as A is to sb.), it suffers from/reveals/displays
practical problems/faults/limits/weaknesses before/by comparison to/compared with B.(To begin
(e.g. Beneficial as the CALL (Computer-Assisted Language Learning) is to students, it suffers from some undoubted faults by comparison to the face-to-face language learning.)
5) It is obvious/true that B can't compete/be compared with A in..., but B still
enjoys/secures/has/possesses distinct/considerable/decided/substantial advantages over A.
(One of these is...Another...Still another...)
(e.g. It is obvious that radio can't compete with television in visuality, but it still possesses substantial advantages over television.)
1) Sth. is like/as...as/similar to/the same as/compared to/as if (though) ...(明喻)
(e.g. In the eyes of book worms, books are compared to/like a magic blanket that carries them anywhere as they like.)
2) Sth. is/refers to/is nothing but...(暗喻)
(e.g. For/To a seeker after the treasure of knowledge, learning is rowing across an unbounded ocean, in which hardship is seen as his boat.)
3) Sth. is thought of/defined/valued/cherished/seen/esteemed as...
(e.g. A true friend is valued not only as your shadow that comforts your body but also as your mirror that helps you find any dirt on your face.)
4) A does sth. just as B does sth. else.
(e.g. Educative experiences of life can tell us how to get rid of failure, just as weather beaten sailors know how to steer clear of rocks.)
5) Sth. means/signifies/stands for/is a symbol(matter/sign/token)of...
(e.g. Love is not a matter of seeking self-satisfaction; it is first a matter of giving and then discovering, as an unexpected gift, the deepest satisfaction one can know.)
1) Only in this way/Only when.../Only through...will/can we...
或：It is only if/when...that we will...
(e.g. It is only if all sides of society take their roles fully that we will achieve the society we want.)
2) As/So long as...we will be able to.../the problem is bound to...
(e.g. As long as we persist in spreading scientific knowledge among the masses, all the superstitions are bound to go out of our life.)
3) For any place that.../For anyone who...there is every/no reason/chance to...
(e.g. For any government that devotes itself to nourishing honesty among its officials, there is every reason to bid an eternal farewell to corruption.)
4) In short/brief/one word/sum, once we are on the way to..., the chance of achieving/making it will increase/grow greater/come to our advantage. A
(e.g. In short, once our country is on the way to clearing corrupt dealings out of the Party, the chance of making it will come to the people's advantage.)
5) The quotations/remarks from sb.(或The popular saying/maxim/proverb) “...” may be a better/sure
cure/remedy for ...(或...sound/practical/sensible/well-weighted advice on how to...)
(e.g. The old saying “Laziness in youth spells regret in old age” may be sensible advice on how to cherish the years of youth.)
6) And worst of all/best of all, it has/will/would effect(ed) the most unfavorable/favorable change in...
(e.g. And worst of all, the official corruption has effected the most unfavorable change in the people's attitude towards the government.
7) As another severe shock (genuine comfort) to the people/society/As the most destructive/pushing
effect on...(our life), it has permeated among the people/through our social soil/throughout the whole
country(或has melted/penetrated into/been rooted in (the) Chinese soil (in the people's minds).
(e.g. As the destructive effect on our nation, his heretical ideas have beenrooted in many people's minds.)
8) As a(n) sensational/unexpected result of..., more and more people have come/got/begun to..A
(e.g. As an unexpected result/consequence of the patriotic education, more and more people have come to regain/restore their sense of justice.)
9) To one's greatest astonishment/delight, sth. has affected...to the point of...
(e.g. To our greatest astonishment, the corruption has affected the society to the point of threatening
its political stability.)
10) The most obvious/direct result/consequence it produces/brings about is...
(e.g. The most obvious result the economic reforms have produced is the waythe people live and think.)
1) for one thing, for another, above all things;
2) to begin/start with, next/besides/moreover, last/finally;
3) in the first place, in the second, in the third, (and) best of/worst of all;
4) one of these, another,(there is) still another(reason/factor); 5) first of all, second, third, in short/in sum.
1) but, but on the contrary, but on the other hand, but then;
2) by contrast, in contrast, in contrast with/to, as a contrast to, as opposed to;
3)by contraries, on the contrary, to the contrary, contrary to (A), opposite to, in opposition to;
4) whereas, while, while on the other hand, while on the whole, yet, however;
5) (as) compared with/to, by comparison, in comparison with, by comparison to.
6) First..., Next..., Last...;
7) In the first/early/initial/infant period/stage/phase(或In its infancy) ..., In the second/middle/adult/ripe period/stage/phase..., In the third/last/closing/later/concluding period...;
8) One step (way/course/approach/secret/trick)..., Another step..., Still another step...;
9) The first measure/step/move..., Next to it comes..., And the last/final/the most important measure...;
10) The direct experience/lesson/factor/way(或One lesson)...The indirectexperience/lesson/factor/way(或The other lesson)...
1) But the obvious(fatal/serious) flaw (defect/drawback) in their argument (attitude/idea/view/action/behavior) is that...
/But the basic (main/great/key/ big) problem with their argument (...) is that...
(e.g. ...that they are ignorant of (blind to) a bare fact: Social changes have attached new meanings and values to the division between good and bad.)
2) But if...it is (not) easy (difficult/hard) to see (find/discover) that ...
(e.g. But if they adjust their frame of mind a little in the other direction , it is not hard for them to find that life is just as promising as before.)
3) Too much emphasis (attention/stress/concern/significance) placed on (given to/focused on/attached to/paid to) the negative (sunny/gloomy/bright) sideof the issue, however, may..
(e.g. ..., however, may mislead us to form a pessimistic estimate of currentsituations.或..., however, may stop us from rendering (passing/forming/having) a fair(correct/clear/infallible/wise)judgment on it.)
4) But in most cases/from the point of view of justice (objectivity)/as a matter of fact/in a very true sense, their (public/general) satisfaction (dissatisfaction/disillusionment/concern) with...(或their criticism of.../their argument for/against.../their objection to.../their approval for...) can not.../is..., for...
(e.g. But in an impartial sense, the public dissatisfaction can not hold every water, for our society is still abundant in goodness and beauty.)
5) As a result of..., however, things would/are bound to...
(e.g. As a result of such an utter indifference to vicious behavior, however , things would be past saving/mending/all the hope.)